Monday, June 24, 2013

Happy Birthday! (Simon Says Stamp July Card Kit: Summer Party)

Hi everyone!

Happy Monday! I hope you all had a great and restful weekend. I'm back once again to share another card I made using the wonderful July Card Kit from Simon Says Stamp.

*Simon Says Stamp Card Kit of the Month JULY 2013 SUMMER PARTY

Here's my card:


Today's card took a bit of work but was fun to make. :) I was inspired by the card Laura Bassen made for Simon Says Stamp Summer School. If you watch her video you'll see that she took the Simon Says Stamp hexagon background die and cut it out using an adhesive sheet which she then placed on her cardstock as a mask. She then made another mask using a sticky note to use so she could work on individual hexagons. I used that same technique here but instead of inking in each individual hexagon I used the small 'firework' stamp and a few different inks to creat my patterned background.

One word of advice if you try this... double up on the sticky notes or change them somewhat frequently. I used a single one and found that after stamping a number of times the ink started to bleed through it and got on areas where I didn't want it. Boo! My answer to that issue lately has been to pull out the color mist spray. ;)

Here's what I used for today's card:


As always sweet Heidi, owner of Simon Says Stamp has provided a card kit from this month for me to give away on my blog! Thanks, Heidi! Just leave a comment on any or all of my 4 card kit posts (this is the final one) and I'll announce a winner this Wednesday, June 26th.



Thanks so much for stopping by!
Sarah

27 comments:

snappy scrappy said...

Gorgeous!!

diana said...

Thanks for the tips and ideas! ;-)

Kailash said...

Fabulous card, thanks for sharing the advice and tip!!!

Chitra Nair said...

Such a beautiful card and thanks for the ideas!!!

Pat said...

Yay for color mist! :)

Great card!

Froggietalks said...

Lovely card Sarah! I even like the colour mist :) :P

Miriam Prantner said...

Great card! I love the mist and that unexpected border shape below.

Cindy C. said...

I like that splash of orange in the background a lot!!

Nancy L. said...

Love that little border!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow awesome card! LOVE the spray mist in the corner!

Mary-Anne V said...

wonderful card...love how you covered up your mistake (can't even tell).

Ruby Craft said...

Never thought of the spray mist as camouflage but love the card.

Unknown said...

love it!

Karenladd said...

Another fabulous card! Wonderful background and great save, lol!

SHartl said...

So clever to use the mist to cover up a mistake...I will have to remember that! Love this awesome geometric card.

pcm said...

what a super fun card!

slbt17 said...

you always do the coolest things with these stamp sets!
Love it!
Sandra ltb

Ruth G said...

Love the pattern you made with the hexagons! Great colors, too! TFS!

Ashley Newell said...

What a gorgeous card! I love the stamps!

Renuka said...

Amazing card..Love how you created the background. TFS!

Sabrina said...

What a lovely card!!

Sue D said...

Great card--I like all the colors and patterns.
slrdowney at hotmail dot com

Sue McRae said...

Very fun and festive card Sarah!

Small T said...

I love your stamping on this card! :-) xx

keeleykats said...

Cute card! Love, love, love the upside down cloud! Very clever!

Anonymous said...

That orange spray is my favorite part of the card. What a great way to camouflage the bleed through of the ink. I'm so there! LOL Because at this point, you've invested far too much time to begin again. Great Card.

MaRyKaY said...

what an awesome colorful card. I was wondering how that stamp in particularly was going to get used.. I like how you used it.. gave me some ideas too.. thanks